News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• December 02, 2020, 08:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 08:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: West One Project  (Read 1534 times)

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
West One Project
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:04:43 AM »
Brother Bill A. did a feature in the January/February 2007 newsletter on the West One Project on Spadina and Lakeshore Blvd. in downtown Toronto. I like the article and it is the kind of article our newsletter should have more of!

Pictures are great Billy, colour pictures are even better, but if the picture of the Bus. Rep and Site Super, G.F. and Foreman are in colour why not give the JW’s and apprentices the same. Just a suggestion. ;)

I know the project very well and visited it many times during the 2005 campaign before our local union elections. The lack of clean lunchrooms for the members is one thing I noticed to be lacking. It’s sad to hear that the problem still exists.

Bill A. says in his article…

In closing, I would like to take this opportunity to mention about the lunch room facilities, we are trying to make this sector better for all members. Some lunch rooms are not fit for animals, it’s up to some of the leaders out there to help clean this up. Let’s get the respect we deserve, we have to start somewhere, I have been on the job for two and a half years and even though there are some improvements, there is a long way to go, our workers out there deserve better.

Since we are talking about terrible lunchrooms in an article about West One Project I must assume the lunchrooms on that project are still in bad shape. So if a 353 Business Representative is writing about it and appealing to the leaders out there I must ask the question...

“ are you not the man that fits that description the most and will you not step up and make sure the brothers in the colour picture help you out to make things better?”

Also I wonder, is steward on that project now?

Keep up the good work Bill!
------------------------------------------------------

At the time of this picture there were 5 towers on the east side of Spadina. This picture looks west into the area where the development is now continuing. According to Bill's article Phase Two in progress now consists of 4 more towers ranging from 56 floors to a nine story building consisting of lofts. He also says the project will continue for possibly 6 more years.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:15:46 AM by ForumRanger »
I love our local 353, SOLIDARITY and SUCCESS to the members in Alberta!

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
West One Project
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 12:17:56 AM »
Here is what you see looking east from the same location as the picture in the last post was taken. Some suites over the 20th floor look right into the Rogers Centre so you could conceivably watch an event if the roof was open. :cwm39:

Offline Polar

• YaBB God
West One Project
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:54:37 AM »
Better remind them..  No sex in the windows..  Fans tend to take optical aids to the games..   Rogers will charge them a fee to look out their window  ;D
Lets put our own guys to work first..  Not the rest of the world.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
West One Project
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 01:01:37 AM »
Polar,

I was thinking of that incident when I did that post. ;D

But that's commonplace downtown with all those tall buildings. ;)

Well... I couldn't find that picture but I found a few others that are artistically interesting... in an... if you're interested in looking at pictures of construction sites, kind of way. ::)

High rise shots are great beacuse you can capture the erection of an impressive structure that changes the landscape and the skyline of the city in a relatively short period of time.

Our downtown skyline is undergoing some significant evolution and who better to record it for posterity than us... I mean you, the business reps. ;)

Get your cameras out and take some pictures, there is plenty to shoot. It will develop your creative side, and you can share them with us someday. Of course you are always welcome to post them here, but if the official local 353 site gets boring... like it has been known to do. ;)

You can always post them there!

What an untapped resource to entertain and educate our members we have in showing each other our workplaces and the structures we are proud to particpate in constructing. we should be showing each other what we do do with our skills. Don't you agree?

Ok, let me show you how I amused myself while touring the city last campaign.

Those tall buidings near the lake are deeply rooted in the shale that lies beneath the city of Toronto. Here is a picture of a "hole" that was being dug to set the footings for a new conodminium project in May 2005 that is probably fully occupied right  now... and yes Polar, they're probably doing things in full view of all the astronomy buffs that have telescopes to view the stars at night... in the light unpolluted skies over downtown Toronto. ::)

Here's the hole... it would be great to get some technical info on "how they do it"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:21:53 AM by ForumRanger »

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
West One Project
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 01:04:55 AM »
And here is some perspective on where the hole was. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:18:21 AM by ForumRanger »

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
West One Project
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 01:41:12 AM »
Here's one of a lunchroom at the Opera House job, Billy A. should show it to the all those foremen and "asst. Foremen"( what's an assitant foreman by the way?) at West One Project so they know what a lunchroom should look like!

The sunshine girls are optional...but look how well mounted they are! Another tribute to local 353 workmanship. ;)

The other wall was even better organized. ;D

*(see...no material...or prints...clean tables, floor, drinking water, microwave and kettle...no foremen...or assistant foremen...chairs!...no benches)

A-One lunchroom for Plan Electric!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:33:39 AM by ForumRanger »

Offline TheCritic

West One Project
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:12:33 AM »
Perry

Very good comments and information.  I have also been on a few residential jobs and the lunch rooms continue to be non-existent or the print/material storage rooms so nothing has changed since Bill A has been designated to the high-rise sector.  

I am confused and hope you were being facetious with your comment to Bill to

Keep up the good work Bill!

Bill is still a contractors rep in my opinion and is constantly campaigning.  To suggest there is someone else that should take the initiative to clean up the lunch rooms is a joke.  In fact it has happened in the past but the reps that took the initiative were removed from the high-rise residential jobs and told not to visit them again.  Why do you think the last agreement included a dedicated high-rise rep?  It wasn't for improvements but someone that was more "understanding" of the high-rise projects.  Hmmmm

That's my observation and opinion anyway.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 10:13:15 AM by TheCritic »