News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• October 20, 2020, 05:41:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 05:41:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: pre-apprentice dispatch  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Magnum

pre-apprentice dispatch
« on: July 17, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »
Does anyone know the procedure for dispatching pre apps.  I dont have a current copy of the agreement. Mainly, wondering if there is a pre apprentice to apprentice to journeyman ratio? It seems the JAC is training preapprentices to go into the field to work...yet ive been been on the out of work list for 2 mos... out of work for 5 including tradeschool. I am actually moving backwards on the list!! Good times.

Offline Magnum

pre-apprentice dispatch
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »
Just want to add that i realise many JWs have been out of work for a lot longer than 2 mos and dont want to imply that I am more hard done by than the next guy ....  I just would like some info and just want to get my ticket.

Offline Polar

• YaBB God
pre-apprentice dispatch
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:31:31 AM »
Keeping in mind there is no such thing as a "Official" pre-apprentice  

Under the Laws of Ontario they should not be allowed on job sites..

Lets put our own guys to work first..  Not the rest of the world.

Offline Zot

pre-apprentice dispatch
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:14:23 PM »

FYI -

There is such a thing as an "official" pre-apprentice - check out the Government of Ontario web sites. They are pushing pre-apprenticeships in a number of trades.

Under the laws of Ontario a pre-apprentice is certainly allowed on job sites.  What WORK they are allowed to do on job sites is another question. It may very well be possible to argue that only an "official" apprentice or journeyman is allowed to perform "electrical" work.

As to the original question posted in this thread: as far as I am aware, there is a ratio only of pre-apprentices to journeymen and a ratio of apprentices to journeymen. There is not necessarily any relationship between the number of apprentices and the number of pre-apprentices employed by any contractor.

It is entirely possible that a contractor could decide to hire NO apprentices and only hire pre-apprentices.

It seems that the policy of the JAC/IBEW Local 353 is that they would rather "organize" hundreds of non-union apprentices than bring in those who would gladly START as union apprentices.

You would likely be better off getting hired by a non-union shop, serving the majority of your time and then getting "organized" than starting out by applying to the JAC to start with.

Good luck.

Regards,

DBT

Offline Magnum

pre-apprentice dispatch
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:45:39 PM »
Thx ZOT,
That was the main thing i was looking for, if a contractor can have strictly pre-apprentices without any regular apprentices. Good to see all that training we are going through being put to good use! I at least hope they are giving these entrenched PreApps the standard test to get into the JAC training program.. id hate to see a bunch of illiterate morons that cant even read a tape making a bad name for the rest of us........ d'oh! too late

Offline mom

pre-apprentice dispatch
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 01:19:03 PM »
Could anyone help me out, my son is trying to get into the union. He has a 69% in Grade 12 Math, but has 2 years of Business at college and the union is saying that he needs a 70% in grade 12 math to be able to join. Don't they look at college math? He has been trying to deal with the union office without much success, is this normal, he is a young, hard working kid who didn't like high school.........???

Any sugestions?

Offline JAW

pre-apprentice dispatch
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »
He can write a pre-entrance exam at the apprenticeship board ...mom

Hope that helps :)

Offline BMB

pre-apprentice dispatch
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:39:35 AM »
Could anyone help me out, my son is trying to get into the union. He has a 69% in Grade 12 Math, but has 2 years of Business at college and the union is saying that he needs a 70% in grade 12 math to be able to join. Don't they look at college math? He has been trying to deal with the union office without much success, is this normal, he is a young, hard working kid who didn't like high school.........???

Any sugestions?
I wanna know if he's so hard working why is he not motivated enough to ask this forum himself mom? Did you find this forum yourself for him? Or does he not know about the site?
LMAO
Ask him if he really wants to go through the process like everyone else @ the JAC hint hint.

Offline Conversationalist

Re: pre-apprentice dispatch
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »

FYI -

There is such a thing as an "official" pre-apprentice - check out the Government of Ontario web sites. They are pushing pre-apprenticeships in a number of trades.

Under the laws of Ontario a pre-apprentice is certainly allowed on job sites.  What WORK they are allowed to do on job sites is another question. It may very well be possible to argue that only an "official" apprentice or journeyman is allowed to perform "electrical" work.

As to the original question posted in this thread: as far as I am aware, there is a ratio only of pre-apprentices to journeymen and a ratio of apprentices to journeymen. There is not necessarily any relationship between the number of apprentices and the number of pre-apprentices employed by any contractor.

It is entirely possible that a contractor could decide to hire NO apprentices and only hire pre-apprentices.

It seems that the policy of the JAC/IBEW Local 353 is that they would rather "organize" hundreds of non-union apprentices than bring in those who would gladly START as union apprentices.

You would likely be better off getting hired by a non-union shop, serving the majority of your time and then getting "organized" than starting out by applying to the JAC to start with.

Good luck.

Regards,

DBT