News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• September 26, 2020, 08:40:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 08:40:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: IBEW "How to Conduct a Hearing Manual"  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
IBEW "How to Conduct a Hearing Manual"
« on: September 11, 2009, 05:40:20 PM »
IBEW "How to Conduct a Hearing Manual"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:43:31 PM by Eric Klyne »

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
Re: IBEW "How to Conduct a Hearing Manual"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
Re: IBEW "How to Conduct a Hearing Manual"
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=109756549871&topic=24727

from Facebook

The "official" International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers facebook group

Topic: How to conduct a trial board hearing
Displaying all 5 posts.

Brian Vandenburg
I have filed charges against someone at my union and I want to prepare for the trial board hearing. I know the IBEW has a book that is published that is only supposed to be property of the local union and never leave the building. I am wanting to just know the procedures as to the standard way in which they should be conducted such as sequence of events, submission of statements, objections, rebuttals, hearsay and so on. But so far you would have thought I was asking to see the Colonels secret recipe. If you have these answers to my questions your help would be greatly appreciated.
on Wednesday

International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
Contact your District office and explain the situation, they may be able to help you out.
on Wednesday

Brian Vandenburg
I talked to them and that is why I made the comment about it being treated like the colonels secret recipe. Knowing what I know now I have no idea whatsoever for the shroud of secrecy around this book. But it seems to me that there is something wrong with creating a publication of guidelines to be adhered to that only exclusive people are allowed access to but all are supposed to abide by.
on Thursday

Brian Vandenburg
Another thing that I find troubling is that as it was told to me by the assistant BA from my local. That he was instructed by and International Representative that it is unnecessary for me to look at this book. That all I need to do is present my evidence and witnesses and that the trial board takes care of the rest. Under this premise if the person that I am charging had no knowledge of this book or was not allowed to look at it. Then was charged by the trial board only to find out later that he could have for example provided a witness to his defense who is NOT a union member. Or did not know that maybe providing a notarized statement was to be admissible as evidence. Then this individual has a valid case under the Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act. Under Title I - Bill of Rights of Union Members on line 3 it states Unions must afford members a full and fair hearing of charges against them. By preventing an individual to study the parameters of a trial board hearing aren't you preventing an individual from having the opportunity to prepare an adequate defense? By doing so would you not be allowing an individual the opportunity to file suit by violating his or her rights under this Act? I am assuming that it is you personally Mr. Hill who responded expeditiously to my original post and I feel that I can only assume that if you do not respond in any length of time to this post that you have only chosen not to.
22 hours ago

Matthew Moose Moss
Very, very interesting topic indeed Brother Vandenburg! Apparently the IO does NOT wish for individuals to be able to mount tangible defenses to the Charges brought against them by keeping the "all-illusive" How To Conduct A Trial Hearing manual out of the Rank and File membership's hands!!! Correct me if I am wrong, but does this not violate the IBEW Constitution in and of itself especially IF members are fined...would this not violate Article XXV(1)(g), "...any act...causing a member physical or economic harm..."??? Especially IF the members "convicted" in the IBEW "kangaroo courts" were not made privy to the information contained within this Manual...therefore, they would NOT be able to mount an adequate defense against these "Charges"!!! Any good Labor lawyer worth his weight in salt would be able to mount a viable and effective counter-defense against the IBEW based on the provisions within the LMRDA which specifically prohibit such very abuses! Thanks for pointing this out to the general membership Brother and hopefully word will get out to the Rank and File that what the IBEW has profited from doing in the name of "discipline" is in all actuality VERY ILLEGAL!!! As an aside, I do believe that most states have a Statute of Limitations which might allow several of these "convictions" to be overturned should those Brothers and Sisters who have been damaged economically by all of this so decide. At a minimum, the IO should make the How To Conduct A Trial Hearing Manual reference available to the entire membership to avoid a legal conundrum.
18 hours ago

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
The IBEW "How to Change the Rules maintain the Dictatorship"
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:13:06 PM »
One of the problems with the IBEW's internal judicial system is the inconsistent interpretations of the IBEW Constitution.

How are IBEW members to expect fair and just decisions when the interpretations of the rules change to suit the IBEW I.O.?

If the IBEW wanted to be fair, they would allow members to access every decision ever made within IBEW tribunals.

Allowing IBEW officers and members to have access to precedent decisions would ensure consistency and fairness when coming to decisions.

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
The IBEW "How to Change the Rules maintain the Dictatorship"
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »
One of the problems with the IBEW's internal judicial system is the inconsistent interpretations of the IBEW Constitution.

How are IBEW members to expect fair and just decisions when the interpretations of the rules change to suit the IBEW I.O.?

If the IBEW wanted to be fair, they would allow members to access every decision ever made within IBEW tribunals.

Allowing IBEW officers and members to have access to precedent decisions would ensure consistency and fairness when coming to decisions.

This would prevent IBEW officers from being biased and corrupting the nature of the IBEW hearings.

After all, how can the IBEW have any judicial credibility, if they keep changing their interpretations?