News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• December 04, 2020, 03:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2020, 03:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: January 23 2010 Meeting  (Read 9386 times)

Offline 993grumpy

Re: January 23 2010 Meeting
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 12:47:55 AM »
Any Organization doing construction that is not Building trades is rat,
the only way to maintain our wages is to defeat the non-union mentality
then to have to fight off low rate so called unions representing construction workers and hiding behind the afl/cio/clc protection against raiding. Just makes things harder when we go to get more for our members, market share is power.
would you like a list of USW electrical contractors that on a daily basis compete with our signatory contractors (you know the one's that employ ibew members)

Offline littlebro303

• SONY DIGITAL recorder...the best defence weapon
    • Never Give Up!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »
...market share is power.
would you like a list of USW electrical contractors that on a daily basis compete with our signatory contractors (you know the one's that employ ibew members)

Yes please
one man one vote
never give up!
a digital recorder at every meeting

Offline Jim Upper

• is it GTU or GFY
  • YaBB God
  • learning through debate
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 12:13:45 PM »
...market share is power.

Yes please

Yes we would! Give us the list please!

Also tell us why our union wouldn't organize striking USW member electricians? Wouldn't that prevent them from working against us?

And don't forget that it was our union in conjunction with a local building trade council that negotiated an agreement for us that the OLRB found had impinged on our own Ontario ICI Principal Agreement. It seems that our union, our local building trades council have a deal with your so called rat contractors. 

Also you might want to explain how an IBEW member running his own one man signatory business (electrical contractor) is a rat because he isn't a member of the local building trades council?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:20:03 PM by Jim Upper »
Threats and lies are the work of the desperate people that attack me.  Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth~Albert Einstein  RIP

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
then to have to fight off low rate so called unions representing construction workers and hiding behind the afl/cio/clc protection against raiding. Just makes things harder when we go to get more for our members, market share is power.

And you might want to ask yourself why the IBEW 353 would allow SCABbing against the CEP "maintenance" workers in Toronto.
The IBEW may have some good representation in some Local Unions, which I know of, but... the picture is NOT pretty elsewhere.

Be Canadian... be Union-minded...
   ...and don't let the "idolatry" of a name blind you, especially when it has been sullied by the very officers that we thought were supposed to offer us democracy, fairness and transparency.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:34:01 PM by Eric Klyne »

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »

That is debatable...

Then we need to start by replacing the IBEW officers in 424 353, 303, 1st District office and Washington DC.

then to have to fight off low rate so called unions representing construction workers and hiding behind the afl/cio/clc protection against raiding.

Raiding... the concept seems to offer an open playing field for members to choose which Union will offer them the best deal?...  ::)
Whereas, SCABing is simply RAT, RAT ,RAT RAT! Talk to the IBEW 1st District IVP Phil Flemming about allowing the IBEW to SCAB... like a RAT!

Just makes things harder when we go to get more for our members, market share is power.

Market share is power. That would be an agreeable concept... but should wages go down when market share increases?
Tim Brower increased IBEW 424's market share by certifying a contractor at CNRL... BUT offered them a lower standard of a Collective Agreement than the current IBEW 424 CA and lower than CLAC's and then he had the gall to cut a negotiated wage raise in half while the 424 membership was enjoing full employment...   :-\   >:(

Yes please!   :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:06:12 PM by Eric Klyne »

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »
With what seems to me it was possibly Brower telling Norcan to terminate Eric because of his political views is it fair to say that IF we had proof of such doings can the BA be charged under the constitution section of "causing financial harm?" 

Yes but you would need the individual who received the message to be willing to come forward. A Lawsuit could also be filed.

And with this because of Eric's beliefs he (Brower)  is telling everyone (companies) it is in their best interest not to hire him. Where is the Brotherhood here?

Tim Brower has a long history of backstabbing IBEW members with false accusations. I was recently given some details of how Brower and Seiben were involved in falsely accusing an IBEW Brother from New Brunswick back in 2001/02 at Scotford...of allegedly attempting to cause a work stoppage. Al Brown, along with Tim Brower charged me with allegedly causing a work stoppage in 2004 at Syncrude.
They tried this on Brian Young in 2007 at Suncor... and once again, Tim Brower falsely accused me of causing and engaging in a work stoppage in 2007 at PetroCanada even though it was the Carpenters who did it.

Brotherhood?
Maybe you can find IBEW members in the field who practice Brotherhood... BUT it doesn't exist amongst the IBEW 424 administration.

I wish we could hold a vote ANYTIME during a BA'S term to terminate him/her. They are elected for them to work for us, not US work for them.

Although the IBEW officers would refuse to acknowledge it... the IBEW Constitution states that we use Robert's Rules of Order. I believe there is a section in there that allows members to toss officers that are in dereliction of their duties. Although you could charge these officers under the IBEW Constitution, the IBEW IO will not allow it.
That's the double-standard that is so prevalent nowadays and too obvious.
I guess it took for me to be expelled and other IBEW members to be Kangarooed to EXPOSE this corruption. Too bad there are so many that are unwilling to accept that truth or unwilling to do anything about it.

Also why is a member from another local not allowed to ask a question during "For the good of the Union part?" Is it not his right to participate if no-other local member has anything to say and there is still time left during the meeting?

Article XXIII - Traveling Cards
Sec. 1.
Any member working in a different L.U.'s jurisdiction shall be admitted to its meeting, provided that he presents his official receipt for dues showing he is a member in good standing and he identifies himself as the rightful owner of such receipt, but he will have no voice or vote at such meeting, except as required by law.

But that does not mean that the chairman cannot allow it OR that the membership present cannot vote to allow the traveller to speak. This has occurred plenty of times at Fort McMurray union meetings. Jim Watson was just being unBrotherly!

Oh BTW Eric with what you told of being Metis status I would go to the human rights commision as there is postings across EI for Scotford not being filled as you are aware.

Understandable... It hasn't been the first time that the color of my skin or the length of my hair was spoken about in a derogatory manner within the confines of the IBEW 424 Union Hall. Although, I think it's my political views that they oppress me for... I'm beginning to wonder?

After all, the ex-Assistant Business Agent Kevin Levy was engaging in a work stoppage at Petrocanada in 2007... we even have the picture...Kevin Levy holds a lot of sway with the membership...but he was never targeted?    ::)

Offline Jim Upper

• is it GTU or GFY
  • YaBB God
  • learning through debate
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »

How is market share important when our scope of work is disappearing? We keep loosing work to other trades, members of trade councils. Now we have labourers installing duct banks? What good is a trade council when we are still loosing our work? Now we have labourers removing electrical equipment including transformers at OPG. It seems to me there are rats that belong to the trades council ideal your support. OE is always trying to take work from us. What happened to first crane is ours? Our own towmotor operators on some jobs. Perhaps our contractors are part of the problem by not keeping up with the times and the changing regulations that need to be adhered to to maintain our scope of work also. It is interesting that boilermakers and labourers can remove PCB transformers but we don't. Labourers remove PCB filled cables but we don't.

We still want to see the list of USW electrical contractors you said you would show us.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:06:44 PM by Jim Upper »
Threats and lies are the work of the desperate people that attack me.  Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth~Albert Einstein  RIP

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 10:03:42 PM »
With what seems to me it was possibly Brower telling Norcan to terminate Eric because of his political views is it fair to say that IF we had proof of such doings can the BA be charged under the constitution section of "causing financial harm?"  And with this because of Eric's beliefs he (Brower)  is telling everyone (companies) it is in their best interest not to hire him. Where is the Brotherhood here?   I wish we could hold a vote ANYTIME during a BA'S term to terminate him/her. They are elected for them to work for us, not US work for them.  Also why is a member from another local not allowed to ask a question during "For the good of the Union part?" Is it not his right to participate if no-other local member has anything to say and there is still time left during the meeting?  Oh BTW Eric with what you told of being Metis status I would go to the human rights commision as there is postings across EI for Scotford not being filled as you are aware.

http://www.naalc.org/migrant/english/pdf/mgcanemd_en.pdf