News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• October 22, 2020, 06:59:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2020, 06:59:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: Can't Delete Threads  (Read 3581 times)

Offline vapor

Can't Delete Threads
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:32:04 PM »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:03:47 AM by vapor »

Offline Kurtis Frigon

Re: Alberta Electricians Embrace More Hours, Less Pay
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 02:23:16 PM »
The only way to change is REFUSE the shifts or dont take the calls. I dont really know the solution, but EUROPEANS  look at us and they think we are NUTS!!  MOST countries over there only work 37.5hrs a week and they manage why cant we?    GREED is the KEY!!!!
Its not how fast you go or how quick you are to get there, its all about the ride!

Offline serf

• David Ammond
  • YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 12:23:49 PM »
It's a compressed work week. This has been in our maintenance agreements for many years. Under a compressed work week you only get overtime pay for hours worked in excess of 160 hours per four weeks, or 40 hours per week on average. So these members get 8 hours double time per shift, which exceeds the Alberta minimum. The team 30/31 calls (5 on 4 off, 4 on 5 off) you see on the jobline sometimes are also a compressed work week.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:43:33 PM by serf »
“Unfettered capitalism is a revolutionary force that consumes greater and greater numbers of human lives until it finally consumes itself.”
      Chris Hedges, The Death of the Liberal Class

Offline vapor

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:10:45 AM by vapor »

Offline serf

• David Ammond
  • YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 02:22:31 AM »
Those are valid calculations except for a compressed work week situation. A compressed work week is permitted under the Employment Standards Act. That's why you don't get overtime pay when working four tens. This is also a compressed work week. A compressed work week means you work more hours per day but work fewer days such that you average 40 hours per week. Overtime applies to hours worked in excess of 160 every four weeks. That's why these Transfield employees get 8 hours of doubletime. Although the Employment Standards Act only requires that they be paid time and a half.   
“Unfettered capitalism is a revolutionary force that consumes greater and greater numbers of human lives until it finally consumes itself.”
      Chris Hedges, The Death of the Liberal Class

Offline vapor

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 06:21:21 AM »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:11:21 AM by vapor »

Offline Lucky

• YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »
I "spent" my life chasing the not so mighty dollar; now I am living out what is left of my life.  I am not sure if if was a good deal NOW.
LUCKY
Lucky,
S-it disturber
Booklegger, for Pathfinder Press
electrician
Only reelman on my crew