Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2021, 03:01:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: New E-Board Has Their 1st Meeting Today  (Read 1805 times)

Offline RETROCOM

New E-Board Has Their 1st Meeting Today
« on: August 09, 2005, 08:05:10 AM »
I wish I was there to great the new E-Board today.  I haven't met meet Jeff Irons, but based on his decent resume he appears to have the right stuff.  A graduate of the LU 353 labour studies program, and active in the Toronto Labour Council.  He and Mike Llyod should hit it off.

I wonder about Franz deJong?  Then again, it dawned on me that Franz might be blazing a trail for his son Jon.  Both deJong's are pretty straight up and good IBEW brothers.  

At the May union meeting, Troy C. tried to growl at the old man (Franz), something about a lineman or whatever, and his Jon called him out.  A classic drop the gloves moment.  Troy backed off.  Figures.  

This E-board will be interesting because now Ed Nott will have to answer questions about Tech Ed and why our Education Dept. missed the boat on several critical education issues when he and Gullins were handling this portfolio for 6 years.  I heard a dandy that the key education hobby horse of Ed Nott and Bob Gullins was the salaries paid to JAC representatives.  To think this was the #1 issue on their union education agenda makes me shiver.

I guess there will be no more hiding behind his desk working 3 to 11 pm shift.  In fact, Ed's election may have been the most inadvertent benefit this whole election.  We finally have the head of Tech Ed right at the table and he will have to answer questions and also hear the direction our new E-Board want to go in (the members voice at the executive table).

Good move electing Ed, however, I don't think he quite anticipated the political dynamics he's now in for.  All and all, Ed is politically harmless and a good oracle of LU 353 history.  

Finally, I really hope that the E-Board attends a retreat and holds a think tank so they can develop a Strategic Plan.  Barry Stevens says this was Wally Majesky's goal for a long time, and had he lived, we likely would have seen our E-Board move in this direction some time ago.  Long long overdue.

Funny, I wonder why Gullins in 6 years at the helm never came up or promoted thisidea since most major unions do precisely this.  This allows a common vision to emerge among our E0-board representatives and a plan of action.  It would likely have snuffed out his problem that he had with his fellow officers?

We should all encourge our contacts in the union to promote this idea as it willl develop team approach and give our new E-Board an opportunity to grow and mature as union governing body that were elected to work for us, the membership.  Perhaps at Thursday's meeting someone can raise this under good of the union.  Let's see what they say.

So here's to the new E-Board.  Good luck and don't let the naysayers get you down.  You're all good guys.  Now get down to work and make us proud.  

ps.  several of us have a new Internet portal that allows all our IP address' to be harmonized and hidden for snoop-free internet surfing.  I hope the administrator doesn't mind, in case he checks.  We're all coming out of Palo Alta California so we can't we traced.  Just a precaution, I hope you understand!  Too many bad rumours have been circulated about this site.  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:15:05 AM by RETROCOM »
Time For Change Has Come and Went.  New Kids On the Block Are Here to Stay.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 05:27:33 PM »
Retrocom says,

ps.  several of us have a new Internet portal that allows all our IP address' to be harmonized and hidden for snoop-free internet surfing.  I hope the administrator doesn't mind, in case he checks.  We're all coming out of Palo Alta California so we can't we traced.  Just a precaution, I hope you understand!  Too many bad rumours have been circulated about this site.

Why do you need a portal anyone can view the forum, what difference does it make. By the way it's long way from Palo Alto to Kitchener Ont. but in terms of the internet it wouldn't matter if you were in the heart of Africa or the north pole. You are so very clever and impressed with yourself you must be getting a tingly feeling. Did you think you needed that special "portal" to view from 1377, really now do you think I would be that petty.

I know what your portal is because you just confirmed my suspicion, but it's ok you can use it all you like or you can find others it's ok. ;)

By the way why do you keep signing up under new alias'? Are you trying to be clever? But most of all why do you pick such ridiculous names?

Also you must ask yourself why do I allow it, I don't mind some of your uninspiring, long winded, evasive, posts which only reinterate the same nonsense which prompted the oringinal questions, but why must you taugnt the membership with ridiculous names like "Retrocom"?

Good luck at the New E-Board I'll be listening intently to the minutes to see what wonderful things you accomplish on your first day. Seeing as many of you are experienced you should hit the ground running, pedal to the metal, more rubber hitting the ground. You know, all that stuff. ;D

Stop badgering Ed you might be surprised what kind of support he has, I'd hate to see a letter coming out signed by the current E-Board about how impossible it is to get through to the new chairman. Now that you've set the precident it could happen anytime.

Come on Retrocom/Kvetchklud/BurnedAgain/Crazyhorse/Luddite/Wanker.....Etc...Etc. Show us how wonderful you are.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 05:43:35 PM by admin »
I love our local 353, SOLIDARITY and SUCCESS to the members in Alberta!

Offline rsharpe

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 06:26:19 PM »
Well said Perry. Boy these games are stupid!!!

Offline commguy353

• JUST CALL ME KATHY!!!!!!!
  • YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 07:36:04 PM »
Games are games.......Its the people playin them that make them stupid.

Offline okimlistening

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 07:49:56 PM »
Troy would eat jong dejong for breakfast, he did him a favour. ::)

Offline Polar

• YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 07:56:05 PM »
All users in here should be confirmed as real members..  
Lets put our own guys to work first..  Not the rest of the world.

Offline commguy353

• JUST CALL ME KATHY!!!!!!!
  • YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 08:13:13 PM »
Or as they do it out west....All members should be confirmed as real users  ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:13:45 PM by commguy353 »

Offline undertheradar

• Honesty is the Best Policy.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 09:53:32 PM »
So tell us how did the meeting go, and did anybody get the latest newsletter?
I didn't yet.
Would it be to much to ask for an E-Board member to post some news on what goes on at those meetings.

Offline icyman

• Get Real.....Too much of one thing is good for nothing
  • YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »
Now that elections are over I don't expect to get the newsletter until the last day before the monthly meeting.

Will be interesting to see what kind of "articles" it will contain.
Life is all about Ass; You're either Covering it, Laughing it Off, kicking it, Kissing it, Busting it, Trying to get a Piece of it or Behaving like One !!!

Offline 353aintwhatuse2b

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 12:31:42 AM »
I asked young De jong were he got the IBEW hockey tourney shirt and he said he had connections .I asked if he played he said something about a bad back or knees.
I told him to come out to west end hockey (get the facts straight) and now you know who called who called who where.By the way have you called Hussey about that comittee that he requested to be on about improving meetings.

Offline Crazyhorse

• Crazyhorse
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 02:41:45 AM »
I heard the voices today of the new/old Executive Board. Wow, was it great.  

I just sat there with my ear to the door, which was open half an inch.  It was pleasant just listening to Jeff Irons.  Not that he said anything profound, but you could tell that for him there is honour to sit and talk and have his views heard and respected, all the while representing us the brothers.  

That's the spark at the heart of every trade unionist.  I think Jeff will be just fine...He want's to contribute, and is now in a position to grow and develop.  Let's try to nurture his interest in our union.  I think we will all benefit from his trade union values.  

I saw him at the Wal-Mart protests, but I don't think I saw any of my illustrous amigo's from this site?  Perhaps I'm wrong?

I've Supported IBEW Principles all my life.  My union is our union.  United we Stand, Divided we Fall.  Let's see the complainers, moaners and grinders begin to volunteer and get involved.  Reform the union through hard work on the inside and not internet back-stabbing.

Offline 353aintwhatuse2b

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 10:17:50 PM »
I too was wondering about that E board retardedpony. Let's see what does it consist of? Two company steadies one for plan and one for guild and we know what great reptations they have.

A name hire who probably only got on the e board because of joe's slate and last time he ran without being on a slate could only manage 217 votes.

A school board employee and there are all kind of views on that. I  wonder what he thinks we should have? Seniority as they do?
Then there is the paid BA's.One of which when needed at dispatch on Tues. could not be reached for info which resulted in members missing out on picking up a job because the rep doing dispatch was not informed. At least the other BA got in on his own accord.

Seems to me none of these guys really knows what the conditions are like in different jobs, contractors or locals.They only see their own little world.

By the way although off topic Ted S's loyalty is no excuse for his uselessness.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 12:21:47 AM by admin »

Offline KvetchClud

• KvetchClub
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 10:45:06 PM »
Dear...

I've been looking for your recent post regarding your accomplishments and reference to wining a big one on the paternity issue for the brothers.  

My sources indicate, ands Dave Bricknell confirmed this several times, that he won this issue while working in Oshawa.  So I'm not sure what your paternity accomplishment was, but I would appreciate a brief elaboration.  It would certainly be worthy of mention in Joe's Prava newsletter, however, I don't want to piss off Dave Bricknell.  

Secondly, everyone I know says you were a decent steward.  In their face and tough.  So yes, you have this experience.  But apparently not too many different levels of nuance in terms of your demenour, maybe this can be taught.

Finally, I may have misconstrued your Sittling Bull reference.  I naturally assumed it was a caustic shot at Cam Commandant and his native heritage and that you put not real thought into it, and just blurted it out.

However, I though about it, and it dawned on me.  Sitting Bull was revered native American and perhaps you were praising our ICI Rep in a back-handed way.  Afterall, Sitting Bull's famous phrase was:

Today is a good day to die.  

Regardless of race or ancestry, any union Rep would be honoured by the reference.

However, as I said, I don't think your earlier post was so intended ie., complimentary.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:49:50 PM by KvetchClud »
The Trade Union Spark is Alive and Well in LU 353.  Long live the IBEW Brotherhood, regardless who leads our glorious union.

Offline Highwaystar

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 01:55:05 PM »
The exec. Bd. sure was lined up behind Joe to support him at the meeting thursday.
You don't think they planned it do you. I wonder if any of them will evr give their true feelings if something contoversial comes up.