News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• December 04, 2020, 03:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2020, 03:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: Get Out To Meetings Local 424 Members  (Read 1335 times)

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
Get Out To Meetings Local 424 Members
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
Allow me to pass this message to the local 424 members, sen to me by way of a Facebook Group.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Thomas November 23 at 8:08pm Reply • Report
Hey everyone,

Please RSVP and check out the IBEW 424 unit 1 meeting event. Sorry I missed making them for the other units.. trying to do more

We need to fill these meetings and help get the new administration making GOOD decisions instead of bad ones.

Members deserve representation...
I love our local 353, SOLIDARITY and SUCCESS to the members in Alberta!

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
Re: Get Out To Meetings Local 424 Members
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:39:50 PM »
Allow me to pass this message to the local 424 members, sent to me by way of a Facebook Group.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Thomas November 23 at 8:08pm Reply • Report
Hey everyone,

Please RSVP and check out the IBEW 424 unit 1 meeting event. Sorry I missed making them for the other units.. trying to do more

We need to fill these meetings and help get the new administration making GOOD decisions instead of bad ones.

Members deserve representation...

Michael Thomas has seen the light?

Sounds like he has joined our efforts... Good to have you finally on board Michael.  :)

* Too bad you didn't recognize my past efforts but thanks just the same for picking up the torch where I left off.

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:56:19 PM »
http://adhdcanuck.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/why-are-union-members-so-apathetic-maybe-it-has-something-to-do-with-leadershipcome-on-424-stand-up-and-fight/

Why are Union members so apathetic? Maybe it has something to do with leadership…Come on 424, stand up and fight!

It’s hard not to be angry and even harder to continue to take the long slow road within the system at the best of times when faced with abuse from employers. A wrongful termination feels like a personal attack, when it happens as a result of exposing something bad, or standing up for yourself and others it is even more difficult to swallow. I am a strong union member and I do my best to work with people, and make positive change within the system, fixing where it is broken as necessary. Sometimes it works, other times not.

The first thing many people comment when they hear about my situation is something along the lines of “You’re in a Union right? Aren’t they kicking butt for you?” This is a result of an old myth, perhaps true in other unions or industries at some point that goes along the lines of: “Unions are so strong, you can’t fire a union worker. Unions can stand up and protect you.”

I wish that were closer to the truth.

People expect a certain degree of protection when something bad happens like what has occurred with me. Failing to stand up for me makes it harder for others to stand up for themselves in the future.

Here we have a clear-cut case of a client (Suncor) silencing criticism and firing then banning a worker (me) for exposing very poor living conditions even though they refused to acknowledge those conditions through a year of onsite reporting, complaining, and following the company rules for such matters. My union has an opportunity to do the right thing for me here. Will IBEW stand up and represent me or miss this chance to provide better conditions for all workers?

What better opportunity for a union to say NO this is not right. This issue appeals to the sense of fairness that all people have, not only workers or union members. We have a chance here to improve our perception in the public, increase our positive “brand” image, help our members feel empowered and represented, and most importantly make a real physical change to improve conditions that all Alberta workers face. Will we be an example of what is right and show strength, or will we back down and show weakness when we are currently facing these employers in contract negotiations?

No one but unions really has the ability to do this. Will my Union do it? They have a choice, IBEW local 424 has just elected a new administration, who campaigned pretty much by attacking the old administration. Many people were dissatisfied with the last bunch for various reasons and there was a housecleaning. Standing up for members was a part of that campaign. These people are supposed to be doing things better than before and now they have a chance to show it.

So far, I am still waiting to hear back with an actual legal opinion from the union lawyers. My union is pursuing a grievance for wrongful termination against the employer but is not showing any real support or applying any pressure to reach a resolution. IBEW 424 has not even touched on the subject of working conditions for its own members. No statement of support or demand for improvement has been made. There has been complete silence about this entire fiasco, with my union refusing to comment to the press even when we desperately need the positive attention. No announcements to the membership have been made. This gives me serious cause for concern.

If the executive of IBEW 424 were to decide not to go forward with this grievance it would slam shut many doors for me, keeping me from pursuing any alternatives and effectively screwing me. It would also tell the contracting employer that any time they want to fire someone and not face justification for it they can simply impose a site ban and blame the higher level client or landowner. This is a very dangerous and scary thing to face, it essentially removes our grievance procedure and contract protection. Haven’t we given up enough?

It is up to IBEW 424’s executive board led by Kevin Levy as Business Manager and Dan Smith as President to choose whether we fight or flee.

I don’t think this is an issue we can afford to cave in on, after we have given ground on so many others. This is a winnable situation. We would be irresponsible to let the opportunity pass.

I continue to suffer serious personal and financial consequences for telling the world how we live up there. Thousands more live in fear for their jobs if they even speak up. How insane is that? Should I be left to burn for nothing?At some point people either roll over & give up, or take the fight in new directions outside of the system.

It will only get worse unless we stop it.

From Facebook:
Albert Borgford· This is typical Mike Thomas; barely worth my comment. If the previous corrupt administration, (Tim Brower's), were still in charge, Mike would be licking that bag, but Kevin Levy is in charge now, so Mike is trying to lick the media's. Don...'t buy it! It's always about Mike, not the membership!

Nothing new regarding camp conditions, what's new is local 424's admnistration. Kevin will do his best to clean up years of Tim Browers concessionary messes, and Mike can go f... himself.

Thanks, BorgiSee More
12 hours ago 

Eric Klyne· What Borgi said!
12 hours ago 
Eric Klyne Now I realize that my comment is UN-Brotherly but it has it's' reasons from past experience.
Regardless, Michael Thomas seems to have recognized our efforts by finally joining in.

Michael believes that IBEW Members are NOT represented properly.
We too believe that the IBEW officers need to made accountable for their lack of proper representation.
Welcome aboard Michael Thomas

Someone should inform Michael about OMOV.

2 seconds ago
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:19:23 PM by IBEW Truth »

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
Hmm??

1. IBEW Local Union 424 meetings

2. 424 Brother Michael Thomas

3. 424 BM Kevin Levy

4. Shitty camp conditions

5. Violating the Corporations' no picture taking rule.

6. 2011 IBEW 424 Collective Bargaining

7. Electing IBEW 424 delegates for the 38th IBEW International Convention

8. AFL/CLC Labour School

9. Last but not least, "One Member One Vote"

424 Michael Thomas wants 424 Members to start attending Union meetings.
Michael believes that the IBEW 424 administration should improve the camp conditions.
Michael believes that the IBEW 424 administration should defend his camera violation on the Corporations' property.
Michael believes that Kevin Levy is responsible for a failure to represent him and the 424 Members.

Negotiations for a new Contract is coming up.
Labour school is once again going on in Jasper in January.
Local 424 Members will be voting for Members to be Delegates for the 38th IBEW International Convention.

Certainly much to discuss.
Camp can always use improvements. Job Steward > Camp Committee > would be the route to try. NOT camera to Internet, unless you want to be fired. Too bad Michael.

A demand for "proper representation???

Well, sounds like Michael Thomas agrees with us.

Michael Thomas, if you wish for more participatiion, you need to expand your media communication beyond the "controlled media wall" that you are situated behind.
There are many IBEW Members' forums to get your message out.
For IBEW Local Union 424... this forum is generally the most popular.

You are more than welcome to join us Michael Thomas.
Solidarity!   :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:51:00 PM by Eric Klyne »