Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 02, 2021, 06:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: Candidate Mailouts & Canada Post Strike  (Read 1398 times)

Offline GoodTradeUnionist

• YaBB God
Candidate Mailouts & Canada Post Strike
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
My mail arrived today and in the batch of bills was a booklet from Steve Martin and Rob While.  In fact their whole team.

Bill Johnson in Oshawa received his.

Has anyone else got a mailing?

And will there be a central mailing from the Hall.

Don't know what contingency plans have been made in the event of a Canada Post strike?  Maybe the election gets put on hold?

What happens if only one group of candidates gets a mailout before a striek and others don't.

You should think about that.  Bet you busy beaver pulling your hair out wondering when and if you will get a free mailing from the Hall, and worse still, unable to do a personal mailout.

The form (its always past tense with Perry), must be pulling our his feathers wondering how he could have found himself in this pickle.

It's difficult playing fair without the fund.

Just retired, enjoying my pension.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
Re: Candidate Mailouts & Canada Post Strike
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 12:13:35 AM »
Hey Gary Majesky, I have an idea... How about making the email lists of members being collect by the appointed administration at the hall available to all the candidates so they get their message out to the membership?

Isn't it about time we saved some trees anyways. ;)

And embraced technology to be able to enjoy all that democracy that is oozing out of every pore of local 353. :)

I love our local 353, SOLIDARITY and SUCCESS to the members in Alberta!

Offline westender

• Harvey E Anstey
  • YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 12:46:37 AM »
I think it increadable that as a candidate in the municipal election I was given a complete list of all voters. Yet my union will only let a candidate view the voters list once and you are not allowed to make notes or copy any information, who can remember a list of thousands in a half hour?
In municipal elections it is done to level the playing field so when will the IBEW follow suit?

STAND TOGETHER Lets put Brother back in Brotherhood.
It's OUR UNION GET INVOLVED OR WATCH IT DISAPPEAR

• YaBB God
Candidate Mailouts & Canada Post Strike
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:11:30 AM »
West of west-end, did access to the Municipal list change the political dynamics and result in your victory?

I think we need to consider some very important labour principles. 

If there is a Canada Post strike, and it's looking more so every day.  Then it means the service will be staffed by scabs.  As labour people to our core, we would should boycott Canada Post regardless of our personal self interest and do the right thing.

We will all be adversely impacted so the handicap will be a level playing field.

Just wonder whether there will be mail delivery in spite of 40,000+ posties hitting the bricks?  Still  trying to remember that last strike in 1997 and whether there was a significant mail interruption.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
Oh... Gary!

The email lists?

Did you miss that part of my message?

Some members told me of an appeal letter you sent out by email last election to local 353 members.

Remember that little gem?

More or less you told members that if they voted for Gullins he would probably terminate you and therefore they should vote for Joe Fashion a man that you respected because he been had so good to you.

You are a man in tune with modern communication practices Gary.

Now if you would just come to terms with the fairness part of... Fair and Just Democracy.

You wouldn't be such an embarrassment. ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:18:28 PM by PSperanza »
I love our local 353, SOLIDARITY and SUCCESS to the members in Alberta!

Offline Polar

• YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
I was wondering that myself after the mail showed up.. Do all the candidates have access to mailing lists and E-mails addys? Could this be why Incumbents tend to win? Opps.. I forgot there are there really no "Incumbents" this time round.. 
Lets put our own guys to work first..  Not the rest of the world.

• YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »
I think all candidates who pay for a membership mail-out get FULL access to the mailing list.  Not to scrutinize and study.  Because LU353 staff will apparently affix postage and the address labels.  So the actual candidates for union office don’t get to fiddle with the membership ‘data base' which on its face seems sensible.

As technology goes, prior 353 elections were a hoot to behold and participate, and those 2008 pesky mosquito blitzkriegs were interesting, raining down robo calls, but the members seemed polarized regardless. 

I too saved a message from Garyhardt and still have the audio clip if there is some way to post this message.  The production values were good (code for professional), and it did sound CBC-ish in tone.  Don’t know if that was intended or not?  But I do remember some misty-eyed histrionics for Joe and that Bob would be bad for his constituency, whatever that was meant to mean.  Which I take great offence, because we are no one's constitutency that's for sure. 

There were a couple of GM’s fans who were not impressed with his sidlingup with Joe in so open a manner.  The ability for the opposition to intimidate some members so they skulked into the shadows was a strategy that worked with some, but not all.

I’ve given this some serious thought.  Perhaps instead of placing wagers on horses in the 353 race, Mr. giddy-up himself decided to clop around the track.  Now that makes more sense the more I think about it.  Stand up for what you believe in.  Go HarryTwatter go!  You didn’t think we forgot?????