Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2021, 03:08:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: Election Judge Mike Mahon re Election Literature at The Union Hall  (Read 1269 times)

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
I had talk with local 353 Election Judge Mike Mahon yesterday and inquired about designating a place at the union hall for candidates to place their election literature for members to pick up if they desired to do so. He stated to me that he had decided that there should be no literature made available at the union hall and gave the reasoning that if he allowed it the incumbents would have the advantage in that regard because they could keep the area stocked with literature while any challenger would not be able to that as easily. He also stated that he could not guarantee that he could keep watch of what happened to the literature so he had decided that there should not be any literature from candidates left at the union hall. He said he did not have a problem with anyone passing out any literature but he would not allow any to placed in designated place as had been done in past elections by other election judges.

I did remind him that during the last two elections the election judges had co operated with the business manager and designated a one of the magazine display stands in the members dispatch area as a candidates literature display area for members to be able to pick up pieces of literature left by candidates. Also the bulletin board on the wall beside it was used a shared post up area for members literature. Mike stated that there would be no literature posted anywhere in the hall on any bulletin boards by his decree. I pointed out to him that the incumbent slate had a piece of literature posted on the bulletin board designated for members that is on the wall near the entrance to the inner office directly across from the dispatch window. He looked surprised and asked me to show him. I walked with him to where i had seen the posting and he began to take it down. I stated to him that I did not agree with what he was doing and that members were entitled to post on that board and who ever had done it was in their right and he should not be taking it down. He continued and removed the posting from the members bulletin board.

I questioned whether it was within his authority to decide what members could do in the union hall, to which he replied that he had consulted with I.O. and that he was within his authority as election judge to make such a decision about literature in the union hall. I stated to him that perhaps the business manager Steven Martin should be consulted regarding what members could and could not do in the union hall because in my opinion it was the business manger that had authority in the union hall. He said that if I could convince the business manager and if we both agreed he would consider it but said he was telling me right now that he was disinclined to reconsider it. I said to him that I would discuss it with Steve Martin and hopefully we could agree on fair plan for place where members could easily see and obtain candidates literature while at the union hall if they so desired.

Mike told me that several other candidates had inquired about a place to leave literature but he had told them of his decision not to allow it. He would not reveal who those candidates were and said to me that conversations he had with other candidates were confidential just as mine were. I'm not sure how confidentiality is an issue in this particular topic especially when it was he that mentioned other candidates.   
I love our local 353, SOLIDARITY and SUCCESS to the members in Alberta!

Offline blondliberal

• YaBB God
Re: Election Judge Mike Mahon re Election Literature at The Union Hall
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
omg

so the wonderful idea of electing an election judge proved to backfire on the "militants"

what can I say??... thats the way the cookie crumbled

Offline GoodTradeUnionist

• YaBB God
Election Judge Mike Mahon re Election Literature at The Union Hall
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
For as long as I can remember, incumbent slates, or opposing political parties have tried very hard to elect a friendly Election Judge, and in the process claim proprietary ownership over the Election Judge, sometimes in a less than sober and ethical way. 

The election of Mike Mahon, who is a thoroughly independent minded man, and solid brother, threw his hat in the ring and chose to rund outside political gravity of the Hall or other opposition candidates.  By doing so he ran up the middle and got elected. 

Now that Mike Mahon has firmly placed his stamp on this important office, there is some grumbling, myself included.  Leaving aside the bad call on candidates leaving election literature at the Hall, the 2011 Election Judge is a solid and well intended fellow.

If we have disputes, let's raise them with the Election Judge and see what he says and does.  Sometimes we have to respect authority in its various forms, and showing deference to Mike Mahon is a good starting point.

Just retired, enjoying my pension.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:46:12 PM »
Electing the Election Judge is not the issue here however... the issue is the election judge presuming that it is in his jurisdiction to not allow local union candidates a place  where they can display their literature. Today i tried again to see Steven Martin so I could ask him his position on this issue as the Business Manager of local 353. He was not availalble so I wrote a letter and submitted at the front desk. It was copied to the Recording Secretary George Smith Executive Board. George took it from me and promised to have it typed and to show it to the Executive Board that were in session at the hall today.

Let's see what Steven Martin's position is on this issue.
I love our local 353, SOLIDARITY and SUCCESS to the members in Alberta!

Offline GoodTradeUnionist

• YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »
Mike has quickly demonstrated that well deserved reputation of the water buffalo at the water hole, less the lions jumping on his back for a free meal.

Mike survived at the TDSB skilled trades council and could handle the likes of the now departed Brother Bill Robinson.

The long overdue changes he has introduced are a good harbinger for future elections.  He's setting the table for future generations by using technology smartly.  His leadership in spite of the odd bad decision needs to be recognized and applauded.

Mike, if you are reading this! Congrats you'r doing a good job on behalf of all the members.

One word of advice!  Don't try to extinguish our democratic traditions on election day, including the much maligned "gauntlet".
Just retired, enjoying my pension.