News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• October 24, 2020, 12:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 12:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: Historical Issues Concerning Membership Mailouts  (Read 3524 times)

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
Historical Issues Concerning Membership Mailouts
« on: July 24, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »
The following will be a presentation of facts gathered by myself after the 2002 local 353 elections. I conducted an investigation when I was alerted by many members that they had not received the literature mailout sent by myself and then candidate for Business Manager Bob Gill.

I will use technology not available to me in the past to present some items to document some of the aspects of my investigation. I had identified at the time that it was very difficult for a member to verify and follow up on a mailout to be able to ascertain that it had in fact been properly done and that members had in fact received the intended mailout.

The main piece was a letter addressed to me that apparently travelled through the Canada Post sorting system 3 different times to arrive at my home the week after the election despite having been dropped off at the local post office facility in plenty of time to be delivered prior to the election.

I think you will find the correspondence interesting and thought provoking.

Stay tuned and please reserve comments for now till I present my story and pictures of correspondence with the various people i dealt with back in 2002 to find out why my election literature came to me 1 week after the election.   
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:17:13 AM by PSperanza »
I love our local 353, SOLIDARITY and SUCCESS to the members in Alberta!

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
Re: Historical Issues Concerning Membership Mailouts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
Notice that the letter has been stamped three different times by the post office and also please notice image #2 that the return address is 1377 Lawrence Ave West.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:56:34 PM by PSperanza »

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:18:34 PM »
Here is a two page letter from Canada Post sent to me after I met with several people in several different departments in person in various offices and facilities.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:26:06 PM »
Image #1 is the specific data provided by the markings on the letter delivered to me. Image #2 is a letter from the Ombudsman acknowledging my request to investigate the matter.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:28:27 PM »
The report from the Ombudsman

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »
Some of my notes...

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 11:35:59 PM »
Notice the note i made about metered mail.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 11:39:45 PM »
The legal department is called in.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 11:42:14 PM »
Some of the other people i interviewed.

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 07:38:37 AM »
I talked with my letter carrier several times before I ever told him about what I was investigating. I think I am a pretty good judge of character and in my opinion he was not responsible for what happened to my letter. Some people in Canada Post said that the only way this could have happened was for my letter carrier to not deliver my letter and put it back into the a mail box "red box it" 3 different times.

It's hard for me to believe he would do that especially since he had been working my route for several years and no problem completing it. If my letter carrier dumped undelivered mail back into mail boxes because he was a derelict in his duties then why was it only this one particular letter and not others as well?

I had meetings with two IBEW people about this issue. One was then and now former Business Manager/Financial Secretary Joe Fashion and the other was International Representative Jerry Wilson.

So the question is how did my letter get put through the mail sorting equipment 3 times before it was actually delivered to me. Why did many other members get their letters after the election was done?

I mention the fact that Bob Gill used 1377 Lawrence Ave as return address because if I had done so with my mailout this year those hundreds of letters returned to me without postage attached would not have come to me if I had used the local union as a return address. In 2002 Bob Gill was largely unaware that there were issues until I made him aware. Unfortunately he was not interested in the technicalities of the investigation I conducted. The Late Bill Robinson was also unwilling to participate in my idea to gather together a group of about 10 members/Gill supporters and have them call some of their friends/fellow members to inquire/document when they received their letters and compile evidence to provide to Canada Post and or other authorities. Bill Robinson said to me "Do you think I.O. will actually do anything to help us, and do you really believe they would ever overturn a f#@&ing election?

I was rather naive about what I.O. would or wouldn't do back then but I learned quite a bit more about how the First District office under Phil Flemming handled challenges to local union elections irregularities and violations of the rules that affected the fairness of an election in 2005 and 2008. From what I've seen Bill Robinson's prediction about what I.O. would do to help was bang on the money.       

Offline kojack1

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 07:14:42 PM »
Hi Perry,i think you have more chances to make another union,than fight with these guys.!!!!!there well protected!!!!!!When I saw the results I was so disappointed.We can"t even put a new guy in,and now for another 3 years they going to play  with the fb !!!!!!!???!!!!!,did you now why they get this votes? because they dispatch people to work,name hire,and this people return the favor,when many members wait on list for their turn,sweet dreams,great day,1 time in my life i live a lie,and if you see the calls for tomorrow ? another agreement for university,i m not going toy details,but thinks don't look good  !!!!! GOD BLESS AMERIKA WITH WORKERS RIGHT !!!!!AND UNION HELP THE POOR CONTRACTORS TOY MAKE MORE MONEY !!!!!!!!!