News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• October 24, 2020, 11:34:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 11:34:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: Unions in Alberta  (Read 2238 times)

Offline mothers

Unions in Alberta
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
http://www.albertaprimetime.com/Stories.aspx?pd=4392

check this out and what do you think....

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
Re: Unions in Alberta
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:18:28 PM »
http://www.albertaprimetime.com/Stories.aspx?pd=4392

check this out and what do you think....

Considering that Union members orchestrated the 2007 Alberta Labour Code Funeral
to bring attention to the fact that the Alberta Labour Laws violate the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
and that....
On the 7th day of May, 2010...
ALL parties, the IBEW 424, UA 488, Carpenters 1325/2103 and Boilermakers 146 discontinued all actions against the Government, CLRA, Electrical, Boilermakers and Industrial Contractors Associations.

Despite the good points that Gil McGowan, especially about the constitutionality of the labour laws....

Gil McGowan failed to encourage ALL the Unions in Alberta to join that challenge that the 4 Building Trade Unions abandoned.

There is no sense in complaining about the labour laws if you are not going to do anything about it.

In past collective bargaining:
The IBEW 424 Business Managers always stated that the other trade unions would undercut us 
and that the labour laws would force us to take less than what is offered.
They always used that excuse to make the 424 members accept an unacceptable agreement.

So Gil McGowan and so-called union leaders.... either fight the labour laws in court..... or quit whining.

Offline Borgi

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »

So Gil McGowan and so-called union leaders.... either fight the labour laws in court..... or quit whining.

Well...I agree, but that battle can't be won at this time and I am sure we all know why!

Air Canada workers were in a legal strike position with the Labour Laws clearly on their side, but the Harper government forced them back to work.  More than once I might add!

So what is Labour to do?  Desperate times require desperate measures, but the people in positions of power that could help the Labour movement are not desperate.  They sit in their hot tubs drinking 10 yr old scotch planning their next lip service speech or newspaper article without a care in the world.

I have the answer, but nobody will like it!  :o

Thanks, Borgi
If a man aint a feared, he's a fool!

Offline Eric Klyne

• Soon to be Freeman
  • YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 02:04:38 AM »

Well...I agree, but that battle can't be won at this time and I am sure we all know why!

Air Canada workers were in a legal strike position with the Labour Laws clearly on their side, but the Harper government forced them back to work.  More than once I might add!

I understand what you are saying Borgi
but if it can't be won at this time     ....then it won't be won in our lifetime.
Air Canada and Harper is Federal jurisdiction. We've seen different political parties lead federally.
Alberta is a one party state.
We've only seen the Conservatives and will continue to see them lead in Alberta.
So waiting for political change to battle the government won't happen.

So what is Labour to do?  Desperate times require desperate measures, but the people in positions of power that could help the Labour movement are not desperate.  They sit in their hot tubs drinking 10 yr old scotch planning their next lip service speech or newspaper article without a care in the world.

I have the answer, but nobody will like it!
  :o

Thanks, Borgi

Now here you have nailed the target.
There are no union leaders in Alberta that want to even bother fighting for improvements.
There is no "real" solidarity betweens unions.
Gil McGowan is basically just a union news reporter who tells it like it is and does nothing.

The other problem is....
...workers have either spent themselves into so much debt that they can't afford to fight for a better standard of living.....
....or the workers are just so damn happy with standard of living they have.

There can be improvements and the time to fight can be now, if the workers wanted to.
But they would have to get involved and control their unions.
Fixing the labour laws to respect the Charter of Rights & Freedoms doesn't mean you have to strike.
Having a BIG hammer doesn't mean you have to use it... but it's their and the contractors know you can use it.
And, as I've said before,
workers don't have to destroy labour stability in Alberta when negotiating new contracts,
If the contractors play hardball... then you just do rotating strikes, so as not to shut down the province
And to NOT give the provincial government a valid reason to shut down the "legal" position of striking with forced arbitration.

It can be done...
You just won't see me ever wasting any more of my time pursuing that... I took my turn at bat....
If there is a need for improvement and a want for it.... the younger generation needs to step up to bat.  ;)

It's a grand stage of actors out there in the political union/labour world....
   ....and I got a good peek behind stage.... it still makes me want to vomit just thinking about it.

Offline Kurtis Frigon

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 07:40:57 AM »
The only way I see it is governments are run by the banks and big corporations. They want us to be poor.  thats my 2cents!!!
Its not how fast you go or how quick you are to get there, its all about the ride!

Offline Borgi

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »
The only way I see it is governments are run by the banks and big corporations. They want us to be poor.  thats my 2cents!!!

Governments, banks, and big corporations are run by ordinary people like you and me Kurtis, don't ever forget that!  You get Harper by the gonads, and put a pistol up his throat, you are now in control.  Never mind the Gary Betman, legal, so called civil, bleeding heart approach.

That's how you deal with bullys on the school yard, and that's how it's done in the real world as well!

Did England ask permission when they took the native lands away, and renamed every body of water from coast to coast?  I don't f#@&ing think so!  To think there are still people in Canada that bow to the f#@&ing Queen  :o

Power is taken, not given!  It's time we took it back!

Thanks, Borgi
If a man aint a feared, he's a fool!