News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• December 04, 2020, 04:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2020, 04:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: Charges Read-out In Barrie, Speranza Charged  (Read 17307 times)

Offline Fly on the Wall

• Why do you have to be that way?
Re: Charges Read-out In Barrie, Speranza Charged
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »
... Is it wrong to criticize union officials? The IBEW will decide:

Resolution of his appeal will show us where the IBEW draws the line on free speech within the IBEW for Canadian members. And how much criticism they’re willing to allow of union officials.

Speranza is no longer allowed to speak at union meetings. If the IBEW upholds this verdict, this means IBEW members better be careful about criticisng union officials. Otherwise, they’ll get into trouble, they may be fined and slapped with a free speech ban like Speranza.

It makes me wonder if his ban would be legal under the US Landrum-Griffin Act. If it’s not, and the IBEW upholds the verdict, this would restrict the free speech of Canadian members compared to US members within the IBEW.

Also, there’s another ridiculous aspect of this verdict. The administration at Local 353 is probably hoping Speranza will attend union meetings and actually speak. Then they can issue further charges, and extend the ban prohibiting him from expressing his opinion at meetings.

It is my understanding US law pertains to US citizens no matter where they are. Participating in an illegal act in Washington whether or not it affects a Canadian or a US citizen would most likely be breaking the law. The appeal will be interesting.

Offline 353boy

• YaBB God
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2013, 04:34:33 AM »
Is it just me or did the ibew president invite a non union person to come into a union meeting and in fact remove a union member
did we  not own that place for the period of time we had it rent it
in the past we had sergents at arms do the job.... but I guess  times are changing
SO THE LESSON IS IF I DO NOT WORK UNDER  the ici contract then I am not allowed to attend
if I do not work under the residential contract I cannot attend the meeting
So I am only an IBEW member under the contract I work in

Offline Fly on the Wall

« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2013, 01:48:19 PM »
very good point. So what meeting do unemployed go to?

Offline GoodTradeUnionist

• YaBB God
Charges Read-out In Barrie, Speranza Charged
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2013, 12:10:48 AM »
Its utterly comical reading the contortions of peope who in the real world practice there very thing they question right here.  Yup, that's politics and the 353 tri-annual festival of democracy brings out the dogs who bay at the moon on cue.

Seems to me that lo-rise members refrain from attending ICI ratification meetings, and ICI similarly do likewise.  There is never a problem, except for one's Perry manufactures.

Mind you the odd tests dura knows no bounds, but more out of confusion than anything else.

There's lots of 353 meetings and functions we can attend without RSVP.  We can all attend the following:

Monthly unit meetings (south, north, east), annual wage, pension and benefit meetings, committee meetings (social, labour day, education, health & safety, committee on political education, power & energy, etc), Valentines Dance, Kid's Fishing Day, education courses, and I almost forgot - protest meetings & cake cutting ceremonies at First District's Head Office on Meyeside.

By my reckoning, that's a lot of union meetings and functions we can attend. 

Accessibility isn't really a problem, but dwindling participation is a vexing challenge for all unions, not just 353.

As we enter another season of 353 elections, the union politicians bring their jalopies to 353 track to post some lap times.

It's all good fun, civil, and a time honoured tradition.

There are many union activists that are hankering to run for another at union office, and may I say God Bless you for invigorating our vibrant union democracy with your passion, and yes, hutzpah!

Democracy works best when we learn to play in the sand box while sharing our shovels & pails.

Great posts, wonderful insights, and may your next run for elected office be successful.  As graduates of the Ourlocal 353 Forum, the world awaits your valuable contributions. 

God speed on your journey!
Just retired, enjoying my pension.

Offline serf

• David Ammond
  • YaBB God
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2013, 05:19:12 AM »
You’re baying at Speranza with irrelevant blather. The trial board convicted Speranza without proof. White brought in two witnesses that contradict the basis of the verdict and appear to be lying. Of course a surreptitious tape recording would answer this question if there is one.
“Unfettered capitalism is a revolutionary force that consumes greater and greater numbers of human lives until it finally consumes itself.”
      Chris Hedges, The Death of the Liberal Class

Offline AUDUnionBagpiper

• AUD Associate Member/AFM Local 349 Soloist
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »
I feel bad for you union brother GoodTradeUnionist, because it doesn't seem like you understand union democracy.
Professional Solo Bagpiper
American Federation of Musicians Local 349
www.afm.org
National Labor College Freshman 2013
Solidarity to all oppressed brothers and sisters

Offline serf

• David Ammond
  • YaBB God
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2013, 03:47:53 AM »
Majesky pays lip service to democracy but doesn’t like the idea. His sanctimonious approach is predicated on self interest. He earns a living from the union and believes Speranza should be sanctioned and silenced for aggressive criticism of his meal ticket. Due process and free speech aren’t sacrosanct union member rights in his mind. But he’s never been a rank and file member, never learned the rank and file ethos that Speranza knows well.
“Unfettered capitalism is a revolutionary force that consumes greater and greater numbers of human lives until it finally consumes itself.”
      Chris Hedges, The Death of the Liberal Class

Offline Fly on the Wall

« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »
I see the propaganda DJ has turned the volume down and changed the music. Did corporate office censor his program? Has he switched from replaying favorite oldies to available concert tickets?