News: IBEW Locals in 15 States and Provinces Have passed a Motion To Support The OMOV Proposal

• September 26, 2020, 07:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 07:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: IVP Tom Reid "Shit or get off the pot"  (Read 594 times)

Offline James Martin

IVP Tom Reid "Shit or get off the pot"
« on: September 07, 2020, 06:41:57 PM »

Let us talk about our IBEW leadership.  In Canada we have IVP Tom Reid leading the way for the IBEW.  No matter what our International Office says we are losing market share and members are dropping off like flies.

IVP Tom Reid should spend more time talking to his members then rubbing shoulders with our political elite such as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and friends.
This man only took over a couple of years ago.  What has he done to stir the IBEW in the right direction?

In my local, LU 2330, he decided to come in and impose a trusteeship over us.  He did this because we revealed major financial discrepancies to them.  LU 2330 a local that should have millions of dollars in the bank was brought to the brink of bankruptcy by its pervious administration and International Representative.

As a local we decided we had enough and decided to run a slate of candidates so we could get in there and see the extent of the damage that had been done.  Once we discovered the discrepancies, we brought them to the Internationals attention rather then going public and tarnishing the reputation of the IBEW.

So, IVP Tom Reid came in and took over.  He promised our members he would fix our local and bring the people responsible to justice.  We were happy at the time and were impressed with this man’s sincerity.

Well it is be almost 2 years and our local is in worse shape now then it was before he took over.  IVP Tom Reid does not even have the decency to give the members of LU 2330 an update.  As far as the members know nothing has been done to restore our local.

Our collective agreement has been out for years, our local survives on the dues paid from two or three hundred members that go job to job as name hires while 1200-1500 can go almost 5, 6 or 7 years before they get two or three weeks work.

Last month our dispatch list showed 100% name hire.  What collective agreement is this in.  I was under the impression that a Union was a collective of people sticking together for the good of all.  How is 100% name hire a Union.  Is this in our Constitution?  I do not think so.

What is happening here is the IBEW is getting away from being a Union and turning into a hiring agency for a few select contractors.  These contractors pay their bills on time and the percentage these few name hires pay in dues is enough to keep our local barely afloat.  The nonworking members keep paying nonworking dues as well and most of these funds go to the International and most of it goes in salaries and perks to themselves.  This is the only reason why the IBEW does not want to close the books and stop taking in members.

In LU 2330 if you decide to join our local it will take approximately 6 to 7 years to get a job off the books.  So, what people do is they go solicit their own work from one of our contractors and get themselves name hired.  They join our local and go from job to job sometimes not even realizing they jumped ahead of another brother or sister who has not worked for years.

Our system is broken.  Its been taken over by a group of leaders who care nothing about its members.  They care only about their pay checks, IVP Tom Reid included. 

In my opinion not one of our International Executive members deserves to be in the position they have.  These people have forgotten what its like to be a Union Member a brother or sister working side by side on the tools.  These people have become CEO’s of a Multi Billion Dollar Corporation called the IBEW.  These individuals are reaping the rewards of our members hard work and are laughing all the way to the bank.

IVP Tom Reid, I am asking you for a list of your accomplishments since your term has started?  I am confident the list is not that long. But then again, I have been wrong before.

Better yet, simply resign and turn the reins over to someone who actually cares.

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?