Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 10:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Author Topic: Injustice vs Justice in District 1 Canada  (Read 4123 times)

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
Injustice vs Justice in District 1 Canada
« on: June 16, 2008, 12:45:47 AM »
The only way to deal with injustice is to expose it and then deal with it and if an organization like a trade union cannot withstand the scrutiny of it's own membership regarding the fair enforcement of its rules and constitution then we are creating our own problems. Creating internal strength is our responsiblity, I have been taught and firmly believe that an injustice to one is an injustice to all. I cannot stand idly by and allow injustice to go unchallenged. I have put my trust and faith in our leaders and have been patient but it seems being patient is not the answer to dealing with injustice in the IBEW. It seems patience and trust are misinterpreted as weakness by some and therefore it is with regret and disappointment but with reslove that I post the following letter  from me to Phil Flemming the IBEW 1st District International Vice President.

June 12, 2008

Dear Brother Flemming,

It is with disappointment and sadness that have resolved to write this letter to address your recent rulings regarding charges I preferred against officers of local 353. I disagree with your rulings and will outline the reasons for you as well as what I believe are the ramifications that your actions have had on IBEW members who were affected and in the greater view for the damage your actions are causing to our union by damaging the memberships confidence in our system of justice and thus their faith in our leadership’s ability to be fair and just .

The timing of your response is unacceptable and gives me the impression of disinterest on your part to issues that have had a great effect on the lives of members unjustly tried and found guilty and punished by a tribunal improperly constituted contrary to the IBEW Constitution. As an IBEW Vice President I have great respect for you and your office but in acting as you have I believe you have violated your oath as an IBEW member and officer. If there were a mechanism in place in the IBEW Constitution by which I could address your actions of bad judgement and inattention I would prefer charges against you for wronging a member on two different counts. Both bros. Eric Klyne and Robert Gullins have suffered because of your inaction and in my opinion, subsequent questionable and erroneous rulings that completely ignore the facts the charges were based on. Your actions call into question the integrity and competence of the IBEW First District office, and as the highest authority of the IBEW in Canada I believe you have let us all down.

Your ruling completely ignores the substance of my charges against the officers and members charged. My charges dealt with a breach of the IBEW Constitution Article 17 Section 11. You have either misinterpreted or misread my charges. Please read them again and see that I was taking issue to a trial board being appointed by a disqualified Chairman and not as they should have been by the Vice President who assumed the chair according to the IBEW Constitution. The trial board appointed by Barry Stevens (who also acted as a witness against the defendant) was biased and not impartial in my opinion. I have evidence of such which is contained in the transcripts of the trials. You have not addressed any facts and apparently chosen to ignore the whole intent of the injustice perpetrated against fellow members of the IBEW. Your ruling has resulted in an unfair trial to go unchallenged and allowed officers who were responsible for participating to get away with not performing their duties as outlined in the IBEW Constitution. Brother Flemming you are responsible for upholding the IBEW Constitution as you swore to do when you took your oath both as a member and as an IBEW Vice President.

I had charged the replacement trial board members (who are not officers) when they decided to go ahead with a trial after being informed of the breaches to IBEW Constitution. When a member is charged, the local union (the president) is bound according to the IBEW Constitution that clearly states, “The trial board shall proceed with the case not later than forty-five 45 days from the date the charges were read at the local L.U. meeting or Executive Board meeting.”  There is nothing in the IBEW Constitution that I am aware of that allows for a local union to wait for direction from the International Vice President.

If your decision was based on “ as there are no constitutional provisions that would exclude an executive board member from sitting on a trial board.” Then you have completely misunderstood my charges and the fact that you have taken 10 months to respond to them together with the result that members reputations and standing in the IBEW have been adversely affected is something I am compelled to address. I cannot express fully my disappointment in your actions and your representation of the IBEW Constitution and the members who are counting on you.

Proud IBEW member,
Perry Speranza
Card# D-624320       
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:55:29 AM by PSperanza »
I love our local 353, SOLIDARITY and SUCCESS to the members in Alberta!

Offline 353boy

• YaBB God
Re: Injustice vs Justice in District 1 Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »
to PERRY
bravo
well spoken and well done
truer words were never spoken

Offline okimlistening

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »
The timing of your response is unacceptable and gives me the impression of disinterest on your part to issues that have had a great effect on the lives of members unjustly tried and found guilty and punished by a tribunal improperly constituted contrary to the IBEW Constitution. As an IBEW Vice President I have great respect for you and your office but in acting as you have I believe you have violated your oath as an IBEW member and officer. If there were a mechanism in place in the IBEW Constitution by which I could address your actions of bad judgement and inattention I would prefer charges against you for wronging a member on two different counts. Both bros. Eric Klyne and Robert Gullins have suffered because of your inaction and in my opinion, subsequent questionable and erroneous rulings that completely ignore the facts the charges were based on. Your actions call into question the integrity and competence of the IBEW First District office, and as the highest authority of the IBEW in Canada I believe you have let us all down.

Why can't he be charged?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:24:22 PM by okimlistening »

Offline 353boy

• YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:15:19 PM »
now that is a good question
Why can he not be charged???
does he get to sit down on his own appealllll ?????heheheheh
how does that go?????
TRUST ME I AM FROM IO..........
The system needs to be brought up to the standards of TODAY
TIME to review the standards for the officers of the whole organization

Offline irish2

• YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »
all the way to washington thats where phil gets his orders

Offline Get_a_grip

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »

Why can't he be charged?

Hell Ya, charge him Perry, and don't forget Ed while you are at it. While you are at it why don't you sue Harper for not having LMRDA and Bush for allowing unions in the first place. Maybe you and your X- member buddy can go to Ottawa and protest (you really like that).

Or Maybe stop all this BS and get a life and do some work for a change- THAT WOULD BE DIFFERENT, You doing an honest days work for an honest days pay- Never Happened - Never Will

Offline ibewman

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »

Hell Ya, charge him Perry, and don't forget Ed while you are at it. While you are at it why don't you sue Harper for not having LMRDA and Bush for allowing unions in the first place. Maybe you and your X- member buddy can go to Ottawa and protest (you really like that).

Or Maybe stop all this BS and get a life and do some work for a change- THAT WOULD BE DIFFERENT, You doing an honest days work for an honest days pay- Never Happened - Never Will

GET_A_BRAIN

yes  we will stop BARRY STEVENS aka BS.  it's just a couple of days away!

I CAN SEE YOU ARE BUISY DOING AN HONEST DAYS WORK FOR AN HONEST DAYS PAY!!!!!!!

PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF JOE"S CRACK AND SMELL THE ROSES!

Offline okimlistening

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »
Hey Get_A_Grip,

What no addressing the facts again? What about the part that says Stevens didn't hold trial like he is supposed to do? Does he make his own rules now? Does Flemming cover up for his f#@& ups while he and Joe charge and ban members from meetings and anything else they decide they want to do?

You have a way of avoiding the facts dear brother.

Good on you Perry for exposing these phony union men! Rules for us and different rules for them! Only works in dictatotrships till the public gets enough of it takes out the assholes.

Guess who the assholes are in 353?

You out on Thursday! >:(

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »
I talked to a group of about 20 brothers on their lunch today and after I gave them a quick overview of what some of my issues were, and what I believed a good president/chairman should be, I said I would be glad to answer any questions they might have. One brother said he had a question and prefaced it by saying that when they had been visited by Joe Fashion, Barry Stevens and Robert White the point had been made that the IVP had written a letter to me that said that charges I had preferred against local 353 officers were frivolous, ploitically motivated and accused me of being malicious. The brother asked me if I had any comment and if I could explain why the IVP had written such a letter.

Well…. I said… I certainly would!!! >:(

So I explained about how the IVP had made the statement about the charges being frivolous, he returned the charges to me but had not addressed the charges and detailed what exactly he found to be frivolous. I stated that the letter also said that the charges were not within the context intended by the IBEW Constitution and therefore he was dismissing them. So in one line the IVP is returning the charges and then he is dismissing them but fails address them.

I don’t believe the IBEW Constitution allows for him to interpret what context charges should be viewed in unless he is willing state the reasons for his decision. Why else would the founders of the IBEW go to the trouble of writing a constitution?

For an IBEW IVP to criticize a member for making charges and not specify reasons is bad enough but to also give an opinion that he believed that the charges were malicious while adding that he recognized that I had failed in my attempt to become the president of local and therefore could only conclude that the charges were politically motivated is preposterous and very unfair.

The fact that this preposterous letter is being waived in the air by campaigning incumbent officers as though it were some sort of proof that my issues with local 353 officers are unfounded, magnifies the injustice, and the embarrassment to Phil Flemming. He should either give reasons for his ruling to justify his outrageous and damaging comments against a fellow IBEW member or apologize for writing such a letter that is used by Barry Stevens as a weapon in an election campaign.

Joe Fashion has filed numerous charges against fellow 353 members and most of those charges have been overturned by Phil Flemming himself and he has been overruled by the IP in one instance. Why has Phil Flemming not seen fit to write Joe Fashion a letter about all the charges he has filed against his political opponents? I have talked about double standards in the District 1 system of justice and this is just another example of such. Does brother Flemming realize that many local 353 political opponents of Joe Fashion have been repeatedly charge and found guilty and served penalties like missing meetings and union activities like Christmas parties, hockey tournaments, and even Labour Day (which he knew about but refused to do anything about) What about those brothers? I would ask brother Flemming, don’t they matter as much as the local 353 officers?

Brother Flemming urges me to consider my thoughts and actions and find a way to have a positive, contributing effect towards local union 353. What kind of a brother and IBEW member would I be if I let injustice go unchallenged? When brother Flemming asks me “to use my energy and abilities to work with the local union and not against them.” He should realize that the people who abuse their authority while in positions of power are the reasons for me being distracted from what I would prefer to do and that is work hard to make the IBEW what it should be, and what it was formed to be, a fair, and just, union for the good of all its members
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:04:32 PM by PSperanza »

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »

Come on there brother get a grip on yourself and do us the courtesy of thinking about what you write because your post is beneath even your standards... you don't usually go to such lengths to still make no sense. ::)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:55:48 PM by PSperanza »

Offline John Hazel

Injustice vs Justice in District 1 Canada
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 07:13:17 AM »
Dear Brother Speranza:

Does your mouth ever stop running.  You need to engage the brain before the lips move, better yet, before pounding the keys. 

It seems that there has been a fairly concerted campaign to distribute that letter from I.O. which is topical and news worthy because it brings your character into sharper focus.

Silly man that you are, you were foolish enough to post that letter on this website, as well as "On The Right Track".  Why would you protest and attack people for distributing the information when you have basically done the same thing right here.

Personally, the letter from I.O. is wrapped in all the officialdom that I need.

You are a "schmuck with earflaps."

Offline NICK T

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 02:11:57 PM »
Don't hold your breath waiting for justice from the 1st District!

After my second trial (Meyerside 9) I charged BARRY STEVENS with denying me my rights under the Constitution
for not allowing me representation by a member in good standing and failing to uphold his duty as an IBEW member
and chairperson of my trial.

I felt his actions were not only discriminatory but also arbitrary, autocratic and with mallice. In my opinion he
chaired the trial like a schoolyard bully. He wouldn't even entertain my challenging his opinionated rulings. His
reply was that I could take up my challenges at my appeal. AT MY APPEAL! The trial had just begun, the
evedence had not been presented yet, but it was obvious to me that BARRY STEVENS had allready found me
guilty!

My 2nd trial consisted of 4 Executive members acting as jurors with BARRY STEVENS the chairperson in a
position of tie breaker to the vote on the verdict. Several days later I was aproached by one of the E-Board members
(known to the membership to sell used cars) who sat in as a juror at my trial. He reiterated his discomfort with the
process  that had taken place and pleaded his reasurence (NOT SOLICITED BY ME) that he would talk to BARRY
to see if BARRY would change his mind on the verdict. Well to say the least, I was dumbfounded, both by the fact
that he would approach me to discuss my trial and the fact that he gave me the impression that after the
discriminitory approach BARRY STEVENS (acting in the capacity of chairperson) conducted himself in, he voted
the tie breaker that resulted in my conviction.

I went to the 1st District headquarters on Meyerside Dr. and filed my charges against BARRY STEVENS paying
particular attention to dotting my I's and crossing my T's and making sure everything was in accordinance with
the Constitution. I wasn't about to let BARRY STEVENS get away with bullying me over a technicality.

I then went home and patiently waited for a reply to my my charges against BARRY STEVENS as my appeal to my
trial and guilty verdict draged on. I was banned from union functions and my kids missed the Labour Day
Parade (first time), missed the Christmas Party (first time), missed Canada Day festivities (first time) and worst of
all I was banned from attending monthly union meetings which I go through great effort to attend (rarely
missing a meeting), having Cubs and Beaver meetings (leader) every Wednesday and Thursday respectively. Not to
be left out, my name was needlesly draged through the mud. I think I made my point.

By the way, I am glad brother Flemming and the 1st District at least gave P. Speranza the courtesy of replying
to his charges against some of the officers and members of local 353, both those under direct control and
tutelage of Business Manager JOSEPH FASHION and those that are not. I was not afforded that right or courtesy.

IT'S BEEN ABOUT 2 YEARS AND I AM STILL FU__ING WAITING FOR A REPLY TO MY CHARGES AGAINST
BARRY STEVENS PRESEDENT, CHAIRPERSON AND BUSINESS REPRESENTITIVE UNDER THE TUTELAGE OF
BUSINESS MANAGER JOSEPH FASHION!

On a brighter note, I have been exonerated of all charges allong with the other Meyerside 9 when these
POLITICALLY MOTIVATED charges and convictions were overturned by the 1st District.

In short, I am of the opinion that this administration under the TUTELAGE of JOSEPH FASHION has abdicated
their responsability to the membership. They have disenfranchised the membership. They take credit for
everything and take responsability for nothing. They are on a crusade to stop any and all opposition at any cost
and by any means available with complete disregard to morality and the membership's intrests. They seek
membership for power when their job is to gain power for the membership. The have even stooped to changing
the accounting rules (MEPP's - up for review in 2010) for the PENSION PLAN so they can avoid dealing with a
shortfall of close to 30% on funds of about $826.5 MILLION. Why? It's not politically palatable to the membership
especially during an ellection of union officers. They have morgaged the membership's future to bear the fruits
of power for their oun gain. This to me is treason against the membership and the founding principles of the
IBEW Constitution. Sorry for my long opinion but I can see no shortage to the long list of damadge this
administration under the TUTELAGE of JOSEPH FASHION has placed onto the membership and their family.

In leaving I ask that the membership COME OUT AND VOTE in full force!

VOTE TO TAKE BACK YOUR MEMBERSHIP!  VOTE TO TAKE BACK YOUR UNION!  353 BELONGS TO YOU!

VOTE FOR HONESTY!     VOTE FOR INTEGRITY!     VOTE FOR ACCOUNTABILITY!

YOUR FUTURE AND YOUR FAMILY'S FUTURE RESTS IN YOUR VOTE FOR RESPONSIBLE CHANGE!

After 27 years as a second generation member of this great organization we call IBEW Local 353 I can assure
the membership  THERE WILL BE NO SECOND CHANCES IF YOU DON'T COME OUT AND VOTE FOR CHANGE!
I guarantee Joseph Fashion will see to that!

Your brother in good standing,
              Nick Traianovski

Offline PSperanza

• YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 08:25:39 PM »
Great post Nick!

I had forgotten about your charges against Barry Stevens for not allowing me to act as your counsel. I guess you are just another example that I am not the only member in Canada that has issues with the officers of his local union ( as Brother Phil Flemming wrote in his letter to me that Barry Stevens uses as his campaign tool)

Thanks for posting and showing that there are members who will stand up for themselves against injustice by IBEW officers.

I will post the charges to show the facts and intent of my concerns and I will also post the decisions that our IVP sent me... then I will post the evidence that exists in the transcripts posted here by brother Eric Klyne to show all that are interested what kind facts exist to prove that Eric Klyne was tried by an improperly constituted and in my opinion biased trial board appointed by Barry Stevens who also acted as witness against the accused. Any "real brother " who really believes in the IBEW Constitution will never be able to stand by and allow such injustice to stand.

Yes my friend we will revisit these injustices and I will do what it takes to have the injustices and the people responsible dealt with accordingly. I promise you that.

But for know let's see how this election we have all worked so hard on turns out.

Oh, what the heck let me post the excerpt of the transcripts that even on it's own should be enough to have the decison of the local 353 trial reversed and if the people responsible had any respect for brotherhood, the IBEW Constitution and their oaths as officers they would apologize to the members affected an resign.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lloyd: I'm going to read the charges and when I'm done reading the charges, Eric, you can plead, and there are four different pleas available: innocent; partially innocent; partially guilty and guilty.

Speranza: So Mr. Chairman.

Lloyd: Go ahead.

Speranza: I do have some other issues to make with respect to the possible biased of some of the members of the Trial Board. Should I make that at this time?

Lloyd: Sure, go ahead. Get all your statements out Perry. The more you talk the more it costs.

Speranza: Well we do have some concerns that this Trial Board is constituted... as of my information it was selected by the President. Is that correct?

Lloyd: The President appoints all committees of the Local Union, yes.

----------------------------------------------------

Would you like a beer to wash that down John (Barry)?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:59:02 PM by ForumRanger »

Offline Get_a_grip

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:33 PM »

Personally, the letter from I.O. is wrapped in all the officialdom that I need.

Hell ya - IVP said shut up, and try to be a part of instead of a part from. I think he knows you quite well and sumed it up perfectly.

Offline stickerman

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:58 PM »
It is obvious from the recent chain of events that the electricians in Ontario are on a sinking ship. I only hope that after to-days vote things can be turned around. At present the IBEW is void of leadership, accountability, vision ,pride, and solidarity. Good luck to Perry and all the other Brothers and Sisters looking to make the IBEW a better union.